How to Avoid Threats on Facebook and Social Media – Guide for Survival
With the growing popularity of social media and with Facebook having turned ten, it is high time we thought more prudently about the threats that emerge online. If we wish to be kept perfectly protected on the web, it is not a one way street to end all activities related to social media. Instead, you need to be thoroughly informed as to what you ought to keep away from. In this way, you can rest assured as to the level of protection you get at all times. Despite the increasing threats and dangers lurking, you can be kept bullet proof!
- Beware of What You Share: It is always great to get praising comments on your new haircut or the picture of your newborn! However, you should be really careful when uploading pictures and adding information that can lead to data interception. Once you have added something, it becomes known and thus accessible online. If you wish to avoid any negative effects, make sure that you think and you think again prior to sharing information of any kind on the Internet.
- Identify Scams and Avoid Unknown Requests: It is true that there are a lot of fake accounts on social media, such as Facebook. Rather than accepting anyone requesting to be your online friend, infiltrate such requests. In addition, do not click on anything they invite you to. There are frequent scams that take place online and therefore you should only click on reliable links.
- Pay Attention to the Passwords: You should not use the same password for all of your accounts. What is more, be diligent enough when picking your password. You ought to stay away from anything that might be traced back from your account, for example the name of your pet or your date of birth. The best thing to do is make use of a password manager.
- Read privacy settings thoroughly: And then, read them again! We cannot stress enough the importance of being up to date with the privacy settings applied on Facebook and so on. You can change the filters and only allow your friends or any group of accounts to share info with you and check out what you upload. This can save you from a lot of trouble over time.
- Deal with Viruses and Malware: You had better immunize your computer, making use of the proper antivirus software and the right kind of firewall activated. In this way, you can rest assured that no threat is able to penetrate your system and compromise your information, including the info related to social media.
- VPN Activated: With the use of VPN, you can always ensure that all your data online is infiltrated properly. This will help you out, towards avoiding any data interception or hacking success on the long run. Even in mobile devices, where the protection is significantly more fragile due to the unsecured wi-fi hotspots and so on, VPN can be a life saver.
If you follow such guidelines to the letter, there is no way you are ever going to be left hanging online. Social media can be proven to help you out in multiple ways and Internet users should not be afraid of such services provided. Still, ensuring that all the adequate security details have been kept along the way can improve your overall presence a great deal!